Museums in the Costa Brava
Costa Brava is a destination with a natural, gastronomic and cultural wealth which attracts many visitors. Today we show you some the museums in some coastal villages. There are up to 65 different thematic museums in the Costa Brava! So, shall we visit some of them?
Maritime Museum in Lloret de Mar. Immerse yourself in the history of this coastal village and its relationship with the sea: adventures, art, boats, sailor stories… Also, you’ll be able to choose between different guided visits.
· Mediterranean Museum in Torroella de Montgrí. This museum provides us the opportunity to enjoy an audiovisual journey through the history of our sea, from the nature, but also from its nations and culture.
· Cork Museum in Palafrugell. It’s located in an old cork factory and aims to enhance the patrimony and the world of cork, just as important in Catalonia.
· Fishing Museum in Palamós. You’ll find this museum in the Palamós Port and it explains the relationship between the man and the sea. There is a permanent exposition and activities many linked to the fishing world, like visits to the fish market, the boats, a gastronomic classroom, workshops…
· Toy History Museum in Sant Feliu de Guíxols. Located in a 19th Century building, this museum hosts a collection of 3.500 pieces, manufactured between 1875 and 1975 and which fascinates everybody: wooden and can toys, little theatres, board games… Each of them is an icon of its age!
· Terracota Museum of Ceramic in La Bisbal de l’Empordà. This museum preserves and promotes the industrial tradition of ceramic in this town.
· Salvador Dalí House- Port-Lligat. This is the house where the surrealist artist Salvador Dalí lived and worked, attracted to the landscape, the sunlight and the isolation. Dalí created the house little by little over the years, giving rise to singular rooms, with an infinity of decorative objects.
· Jam Museum in Torrent. It’s a relatively young museum that will leave a good taste in your mouth. One day, its founder started to prepare homemade jam with her lemons and soon she saw an opportunity to dedicate an entire museum to this world. In this peculiar museum more than 114 flavours are elaborated! Workshops and courses are also offered.
· History Museum in Sant Feliu de Guíxols. It’s located in the Monastery of Sant Feliu de Guíxols; this museum explain the history through the professions of the past.
· Museum of Anchovy and Salt in L’Escala. Anchovy industry has been the most important driver of the local economy. The museum shows the elaboration process of anchovies, internationally known and it also explains the history of fishing.
· Museum of Catalan Coast Cuisine in Tossa de Mar. The cuisine of people tells their history too and it’s a part of the heritage. This is what this museum wants to diffuse. It’s located in a 19th Century country house, outside the city walls. The museum is, at the same time, a support for gastronomic tourism.
· Museum and archaeological site in Roses. It’s a great place if you want to know the city history since the Neolithic, through the Greek colonization, Roman times and the Visigoth period until now. All these civilizations have left their mark in these lands.
· Medieval History Museum in Castelló d’Empúries. You’ll know the past of the village, with special attention to Middle Ages and Jewish community legacy.
· Parish Museum of the Minor Basilica of Santa Maria in Castelló d’Empúries. Also known as The Treasure, it is located in the new vestry. It hosts a valuable collection of religious gold artwork, paintings and jars.
· Archaeological Museum of Catalonia in Empúries. It offers a visit to know the History of Catalonia from the archaeological Greek and Romans vestiges in a beauty and strategic enclave all at once: the Bay of Roses.
· Watercolour Museum in Llançà. This museum was born from a donation of watercolours to the city council. Nowadays, there are 193 paintings.
· Familiar Museum of Wine of Roses. An old mansion and the vineyards of Empordà set the stage for wine elaboration. A sensorial visit!
· Museum of Doll in Castell d’Aro. Located in the old town, the musem was born from a donation to make people known about the culture of humanity through dolls from different countries and nations. And the admission is always free!